Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

Mariano Kamp wrote:
On Saturday 06 December 2003 06:30, Karsten M. Self wrote:

More significantly:  get a Knoppix disk.  Use it to identify the HW on
the system.  The 'lshw' command is useful, as is my own system-info
script:

   http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript

Meanwhile I got my hands on the new debian installer and so I am at least past the base install now.
I found your tool in Debian too and it rocks.
http://mariano.homelinux.org/lshw.out.html

Neat tool that lshw:

http://esquipulas.homeunix.com/lshw.html

(I note it did not find the USB scanner)

Now that we see the hardware, is it appropriate to ask "how much"? ;-)

Hugo.

This will be a great help for the next steps... Great work!

Yes, in theory it should work on Debian when it works on Knoppix, but
when having to use the old installer then the modules are very much
out of date.

That was it. The network module (via-rhine) coming with the woody installer was out of date.

Then use debootstrap to perform a chroot install under Knoppix as
described in the Debian Installation Manual.

Ok, Paul mentioned E Condon also mentioned this approach. I will look it up in the manual.

Google "large disk HOWTO".  bf2.4 install option may help you.  Or a
chroot (my own preference), as mentioned above.

I used bf2.4. Anyway the new installer (and Knoppix) are able to cope with my hdd now.

Cheers,
Mariano