Debian instalation

Hello,

I am an RedHat user and now I saw that RedHat is no more available as a free distribution. So i want to switch to Debian. I found some help on the www.debian.org web site, but I still need some advices.

I saw there that they are 3 stages: stable, testing, unstable. For sure I choosed stable on my first pick,, got the images and installed it. After that, I noticed that all the utilities are old: XFree86, KDE, and most of the packages. I really need some new one, not necesarly the newest. Ok, ok, i know the new one are on testing, but I will assume the risk to use them.

Somebody told me to install woody and then to use apt-get to do some upgrades.

In fact I need some advices for install debian but with new packages. I don't have a big bandwidth internet access, just 128kb/sec, and I have only the woody CDs. What should i do? Just install woody and then upgrade using apt-get? How will this apt-get handle the Xfree86 or KDE upgrade? There are numerous files to upgrade, is it possible to keep track of all of them?

There would be an ideea to install it from scratch , but I'm not so experimented to keep track of the files by myself.

I will be very happy if I will succed to do a debian based system with XFree86 4.0.1 at least, and KDE 3.1 using Grub boot loader.

I need some advices, really.

Thanks for your time.