Re: Configuring Sound problems

Hello

Kirby J. Davis (<k2ham@bellsouth.net>) wrote:

> I'm currently running the 2.4.18-bf2.4 image and am having trouble
> getting my soundcard working on a Compaq 4130T. I've tried modconf but
> upon trying to install the sb module I get an error saying:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/sound/sb.o: init_module: No
> such device
>
> Yet, I see sb.0 in the directory mentioned. I had no installing the
> sb_lib, sound, or soundcore modules.

That could mean that your Laptop does not have a Sound Blaster Chip. The
sb driver does /not/ work for Sound Blaster clones. If the sound device
is connected via PCI, use lspci to get a listing and identify the chip.
If it is connected via ISA, maybe isapnpdump from the isapnptools
package can help you. Taking a look at the bootup information or at
Windows control center can also help.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--