Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

Hi Kent,

On Saturday 06 December 2003 00:19, Kent West wrote:
> Mariano Kamp wrote:
> > On Friday 05 December 2003 23:29, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>	Which one?  Pointers?
> >
> > Sorry?
> > Pointers in the sense of links to websites I haven't been able to get
> > from google myself. Best case would be a pointer to an experience report
> > linux-laptop.net style.
>
> I believe Leandro means "which cheap pc from which german discounter",
> not "which pointer".
Thanks for clearing that up.

The discounter is called ALDI and the Modell is Medion MD 8080 XL as described
in the subject.

If this is of interest I could post a /proc/pci output, but it is pretty
meaningless as it in most cases says "unknown type". The box itself is a p4
3ghz, 512 mb ram, some intel board which I haven't figured out yet etc.etc.
When I am able to get the network up and running an compile a current kernel I
hope there will be more information.

> Your original post is kind of like saying "What type oil filter do I
> need for my cheap import car?"
Well, I did two postings at the same time,  because I thought it would be
easier to divide the problem in two topics: a) Anyone also using this
particular computer and help with aquiring the new installer.

> It sounds like the Debian installer you have has an older kernel that
> doesn't recognize your hardware.
Absolutely. The via-rhine module is to old in woody (see my other posting).
The module from knoppix *and* the new installer does work.
Unfortunately the new alpha version of the new installer stops working at some
point (usb-discover) and I am not able to get my hands on the beta version as
gluck is down. So my second and more important questions is: Anybody
mirroring the new installer (see other posting)?

> Do you have the Woody set of CDs, or
> are you installing from a disk your got when you bought a magazine two
> years ago, or what? Do you have the ability to burn a new CD from the
> network? If so, try getting the fourth CD in the Woody set (should have
> a 2.4 kernel), or an unofficial sid CD that maybe has a newer kernel.
Well, I booted from the first woody cd and apart from the installer not being
able to work with my whole hdd (just 120 of 160 gb) I am able to install the
base system. When trying to setup the network to upgrade to sid I have the
a.m. problem with my card I am stuck so far.

Thanks for taking the time.
Mariano