Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

Mariano Kamp wrote:
On Friday 05 December 2003 23:29, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

Em Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:07:24 +0100, Mariano Kamp escreveu:

I bought one of the "cheap" PCs from a german discounter. I am wondering
 if
anybody has been able to install Debian on it? Any pointers would be
nice.

	Which one?  Pointers?

Sorry?
Pointers in the sense of links to websites I haven't been able to get from google myself. Best case would be a pointer to an experience report linux-laptop.net style.

I believe Leandro means "which cheap pc from which german discounter", not "which pointer".

Your original post is kind of like saying "What type oil filter do I need for my cheap import car?"

It sounds like the Debian installer you have has an older kernel that doesn't recognize your hardware. Do you have the Woody set of CDs, or are you installing from a disk your got when you bought a magazine two years ago, or what? Do you have the ability to burn a new CD from the network? If so, try getting the fourth CD in the Woody set (should have a 2.4 kernel), or an unofficial sid CD that maybe has a newer kernel.

--
Kent