Re: Is resolv.conf essential? - SOLVED

On 05 Dec 2003, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> > Run pppconfig and configure a connection for each ISP, specifying the
> > correct nameservers for each ISP (or 'dynamic' if the ISP uses so-called
> > 'dynamic dns').  Everything will just work.
> >

> I'd done this previously and I think it used to work but now it doesn't.
> I've rerun pppconfig in case it was screwed up but it still won't find a
> server, whether with static or dynamic dns.

I think I've finally found the problem here. I need to have
/etc/resolv.conf with just one line:

	nameserver 127.0.0.1

With this in place everything seems to work as it should. But I don't
think I've seen it documented anywhere (though it probably is).

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic