Re: Is resolv.conf essential?

Anthony writes:
> According to the man page for resolv.conf it is not supposed to be
> necesssary on a properly configured system.

The author of that page assumes that every machine is always running a
nameserver.  This is, of course, not true.

> However I can't connect to my dialup ISP without it. This creates
> problems when I use a different ISP.

Run pppconfig and configure a connection for each ISP, specifying the
correct nameservers for each ISP (or 'dynamic' if the ISP uses so-called
'dynamic dns').  Everything will just work.

> What needs to be configured to make it unnecessary?

A nameserver.  But you don't need or want to do that.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org