Keyboard or resolution problem?

One problem for us newbies is not knowing what to call
our problems, which makes it hard to know how to
search for a solution on our own.  So I apologize in
advance for wasting your time with this one.

Most things work.  But when I finally try to enter,
e.g. anything at all on emacs, or yahoo, or anything
else, each keystroke changes the size of everything on
the screen chances, including the dots on fvwm2
background screen.  Since the console works (and so
does everything on the WindowsXP side of this
dual-boot machine), I'm guessing that somehow -- don't
ask -- the keyboard got configured to change screen
resolution.  But I've searched everything I can think
of, including man pages, Google, and the Debian
install manual, and I have not found anything that
helps.  I'm not even sure what to call my problem.

I'll accept sneers at my newbie denseness,
particularly if they are accompanied  by a helpful hint.