Re: I'm face Few problem , need suggestion

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 22:29 GMT, Bijan Soleymani penned:
> "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:
>
>> I don't have a problem with the installer.  I'd rather have devs
>> working on other stuff than on something that works (for me).
>
> The installer also works for me, at least most of the time. But it
> would be nice if relative newbies could install Debian on their own.

Agreed, *if* the installer also allows relatively experienced folk (I
would never call myself an expert) the freedom to do what they want
without having to jump through a bunch of hoops.

Actually, there's a snarky part of me that thinks that forcing newbies
to use a different distro first will give them an appreciation for the
wonder that is debian ... yeah, as I said, snarky.

[snip]

>> But I don't really see this as a problem.  There are different
>> distros for different needs, and debian is designed for the needs of
>> an experienced linux user.
>
> If that is the case we should at least be honest. They should post in
> big bold letters on www.debian.org:
>
>     "This Operating System is not for general users it is only for
>     experienced linux users. If you have never used Linux before
>     please go to www.redhat.org or www.mandrake.org or
>     www.knoppix.org."

Actually, I should rephrase that in *my* view, debian is designed for
the needs of an experienced linux user.  I would suspect that the movers
and shakers in the debian world may not see things this way.

But you do have a point.

> I'm kind of in the pro-knoppix camp. I think that debian could
> incorporate certain features from knoppix. The experts could always
> disable the hardware detection, etc. But it would be very useful for
> beginners.

I've only used knoppix a few times, so I can't really say if I agree.  I
found the instant recognition of all my laptop stuff rather spiff, but I
don't know if there were admin trade-offs involved.

--
monique