Re: I'm face Few problem , need suggestion

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 17:14 GMT, H. S. penned:

Oh boy. I can understand that. I went through the same thing myself a
few weeks ago. But then I was not new to the world of Linux so it
didn't take me 4 days :)  But I agree, the installation routine of
Debian is hideous. Delusions of grandeur must be over and the routine
*must* be vastly improved and made easier if Debian want to live up to
people's expectations.

Must it, now?  And which people?

1) People who want to start using Debian without spending multiple days installing it.
2) People who are not developers.
3) People who believe that good things need not be made difficult to do.
4) People who believe that things can be improved.
5) People who live in the real world and know wheel mouse exists (Debian installer doesn't) ;)

I don't have a problem with the installer.  I'd rather have devs working
on other stuff than on something that works (for me).

*You* may not have a problem, that doesn't mean others shouldn't demand an improvement. For example, you may not be color blind, but if you were planning a presentation using color slides, wouldn't you want to have a color scheme that is not 'offensive' to color blind people? Or maybe if someone says s/he can't read your slides properly, would you retort: "*I* can, *I* don't see a problem, hmmrpphh!" and continue with your presentation?

Moreover, if one were to do a poll today out of the number of people interested in using Debian asking them if Debian's installer needs to improved upon, I am certain you would be in a minority.

Many people, including me, would not recommend debian for a linux
novice, though there are debian-based distros that some might recommend.

Not an excuse NOT to improve the installer.

Tell me, why is apt-used in Debian? Why not just plain use tar-gzipped files and the usual configure,make,install procedure, since many developers are fine with that too and it is *not* impossible to install and maintain a system with tar-gzipped files? The point is, saying "I have no problem so no improvement is needed" is just not good enough reason to argue NOT wanting an improvement. Thinking Debian installer need NOT be improved and is fine enough == delusions of grandeur.

->HS