Re: Swap Distribution

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:14:03PM -0200, Leandro Guimar?es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> Em Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:46:12 -0300, Mariano Wahlmann escreveu:
>
> > i want to know if debian
> > has the an automatic update tool (like up2date), i read that debian use
> > apt
>
> 	Which is much better than up2date.

Heh!  Yeah... Once you get used to apt, you'll wonder how you ever got
by without it.

> > how long did debian keep support?, RedHat keep releasing uptades for
> > 5 years for each version. Thanks.
>
> 	Debian makes smooth upgrades, but doesn't keep support after the
> following version is released. You can contract it if you like.

I'm pretty sure this bit is not true.  Obsolete versions get security
updates for a while after the new release comes out...
I don't think there's a guaranteed time-frame for that (this being
Debian, it runs something like "until it becomes too much of a pain")...
But I believe the devels aim for "about a year".

	Cheers!
--
He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.