Re: Swap Distribution

on Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:14:03PM -0200, Leandro Guimar?es Faria Corsetti Dutra (leandro@dutra.fastmail.fm) wrote:
> Em Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:46:12 -0300, Mariano Wahlmann escreveu:
>
> > i want to know if debian
> > has the an automatic update tool (like up2date), i read that debian use
> > apt
>
> 	Which is much better than up2date.

Amen.

> > how long did debian keep support?, RedHat keep releasing uptades for
> > 5 years for each version. Thanks.
>
> 	Debian makes smooth upgrades, but doesn't keep support after the
> following version is released. You can contract it if you like.

More specifically:

Debian releases tend to occur at 1 - 2 year intervals (see below).
After release, the prior stable release continues to be supported for
security updates for a period of time.  This isn't officially stated,
but tends to be for at least several months after a stable release.  In
the case of "potato", Debian 2.2, support was continued for 12 months
following the release of "woody", Debian 3.0.  This was discussed in the
following summary of a survey of security support requests:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200302/msg00010.html