Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On 3. December 2003 at 5:52PM -0800,
Vineet Kumar <vineet@doorstop.net> wrote:

> * Monique Y. Herman (spam@bounceswoosh.org) [031203 16:59]:
> > I have been wondering about the password-sniffing thing, too.
> > If you send a password using ssh, isn't it encrypted?
> >
> > I suppose some debian developer's kid sister could have
> > installed a keystroke logger on the dev machine ... um ...
>
> Almost there -- minus the assumption that one needs physical
> access to a machine to install a keystroke logger.  At the risk
> of perpetuating the telephone game, I recall reading that the
> developer's machine had been rooted.  I didn't hear how, but I
> don't really see how it matters.  I picture an always-on
> machine in someone's home on a DSL or cable line.

Now I'm curious: is it possible to get rooted while on dialup?
I'm thinking of a user with access to a slow but dirt cheap
dialup connection and so is online for significant stretches,
say, eight hours.  This also assumes that no trojans or similar
have been installed on the user's system.

[...]