Re: Logging from Linksys BEFSX41 Router to Debian Server (progress)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom" <tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Logging from Linksys BEFSX41 Router to Debian Server

> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:10:40PM -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > Quoting BruceG <bruce-lists@manygriffi.blogdns.net>:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > >    I am using a Linksys BEFSX41 router, and want to start logging
inbound
> > > and outbound access. I can set which IP address I want it to log to,
and

> > On the BEFSR41, the logging is SNMP.
>
> I don't have the energy to google it but search for your model # and
> linux.  I think you need to match the exact model #.  I found a SNMP
> listener for my exact Linksys router.

Okay - making progress. I installed the snmpd package (apt-get install
snmpd), then manually started snmptrapd. I had previously edited syslog.conf
to accept remote connections. Now snmp traps are going to /var/log/syslog

I'm getting records for both inbound and outbound connections, so that's a
start. Also saw two pages on logging from Linksys routers. One is
linksysmon, the other sets up a specific log file for LinkSys and rotates,

So - will play around a little tomorrow to pull the Linksys logging out of
my syslog and into a specific log file. Will need to find a tool to read the
log, but at least have a starting point.

Next question: how do I make sure snmptrapd is set to start automagically?