Re: Logging from Linksys BEFSX41 Router to Debian Server

Quoting BruceG <bruce-lists@manygriffi.blogdns.net>:
> Hey all,
>
>    I am using a Linksys BEFSX41 router, and want to start logging inbound
> and outbound access. I can set which IP address I want it to log to, and
> wanted to know how to set things up on a Debian server to accept logging
> from other devices.

On the BEFSR41, the logging is SNMP.  I fiddled with it on another
Linux distro using the UCD-SNMP/NET-SNMP package.  I ended up turning
it off.  The data logged is not useful to a human being and I did not
find a way to configure the SNMP package to turn it into something
useful.  What I  found more useful was Snort, a 2nd NIC, and a hub in
front of the router.  Google for "Peering Over the Firewall", an
article I had published on either UnixReview.com or Linux Journal's
Web site.  (Sorry for the vague reference, I am on a text-only laptop
on a dialup line and Web surfing is painfully slow.)

HTH,
  Jeffrey