Re: Help with installation

Robert Benjamin wrote:
I have Red Hat 9.0 installed on a 30 gig HD and want to onstall Debian 3.0r1 over it, or remove Red Hat. I have iso images 1 and 2 on CD roms and the drive is bootable. Using the iso 1, I get stuck at the part where it asks the server:/path for the root filesystem. I'm a Linux newbie and I guess I don't know what this is, or what to enter there. Things were going fine to that point. This is a i386 system. The HD is 30 gig and has ONLY Red Hat 9.0 on it. Can you help me install Debian or get me past the point where I don't understand what it asks. I have no problem removing Red Hat, if I knew how to do that. This is a learning experience for me, and there are no files that need to back up. I can start from scratch.
   Thanks for the help.   benjie1@cox.net

Hi,

Just like you, I am also trying Debian (changing over from Redhat). I installed Debian a few weeks ago in separate partitions, with /boot and /swap same for both. Presently I have different /home parititions for both, but I may eventually have only one common /home.

Words of advice:
Debian installer is nowhere as easy as Redhat's. Before you start installation, make sure that you know: video card specs, monitor specs, kind of keyboard you have and the network cards you have if any. Debian will ask you very specific questions about these. If you have a USB mouse, remember that your mouse device is something like /inputs/usb/mice or /inputs/mouse or something like this and not /dev/...

I am new to Debian, and during installation it asks if you want to use two package installers, I used the first one and not the second one. The second one, I think it is dpkg, is waaaaay too tedious for a first timer.

I wish you all the luck in the world during installation :) Once you have it installed, it is not that bad, actually it is pretty nice. BTW, if only Debian had a better installer, a HUGE bunch of Redhat users would now be using Debian.

->HS
--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)