Re: Help with installation

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:44:00PM -0500, Robert Benjamin wrote:
>    I have Red Hat 9.0 installed on a 30 gig HD and want to onstall

How did you partitioned your system?

> Debian 3.0r1 over it, or remove Red Hat.

What do you mean "over".  Unless you know extremely well not to ask this
question in this way, I bet normal procedure will wipe your RH partition
away.  So same thing :-)
   (Yes, you can prove me wrong but then ,,,)

> I have iso images 1 and 2 on CD
> roms and the drive

> is bootable. Using the iso 1, I get stuck at the part
> where it asks the server:/path for the root filesystem. I'm a Linux
> newbie

Time to read manual.

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

> and I guess I don't know what this is, or what to enter there.

I do not understand you but there should be an answer in instal;l
manual.  (If you are doing netinstall, it may be
  http.us.debian.org
Or something similar.  But why netinstall when you have 2 CDs.  I think
you only need CD#1 for install.  Once oiinstalled, you get it upgraded
to latest any version.

> Things were going fine to that point. This is a i386 system. The HD is
> 30 gig and has ONLY Red Hat 9.0 on it.

Did you do "fdisk -l /dev/hda" or similar to check its partition.

>    Can you help me install Debian or get me past the point where I
> don't understand what it asks. I have no problem removing Red Hat, if I
> knew how to do that. This is a learning experience for me, and there are
> no files that need to back up. I can start from scratch.
>    Thanks for the help.   benjie1@cox.net

  For learning, read my doc too :-)

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/reference.en.html

Enjoy and have fun.