Re: Modem detection and installation problems

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:17:41 -0500, Eric Dickner wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a BCM V.90 56K Modem (PCI Bus 1, device 4, function 0) on an Intel
> Pentium 4 that the debian configuration software never did detect.  I went
> on to try and configure PPP as best I could...
>
> When I try to use 'pon' I get messages about looking for ethernet cards
> instead of any dialilng.  I believe the OS just has no idea that there is a
> modem installed.  I have not found anything in the Debian manuals about all
> this; most of the advice seems to be for machines attached to networks.
>
> A wider search of of the web got me lots of inapplicable advice (references
> to hand-editing configuration files that are not in /etc/ mostly).  Where do
> I go for information on this?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Eric Dickner

This is not meant as a smartass answer, but, as "real" modems are
relatively cheap, I would respectfully suggest that you consider getting
one instead of using CPU cycles running a winmodem.

You want to look for a "controller-based" modem, as opposed to a
"controllerless" or "windows" modem.  The ones which have "especially made
for Windows XP" or something similar on the box are "controllerless"
modems.  IMO, that label ought to be a big red one with "WARNING - CHEAP
AND NASTY" on the top.

For example, you can get a US Robotics Performance Pro V.92 PCI
controller-based faxmodem via pricewatch.com for only $49 inclusive. (It's
the modem I use which is why I looked it up in particular).

Then, if your current modem is removable, you can take it out and give it
to someone you don't like :)

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman