Re: Modem detection and installation problems

Eric Dickner wrote:
Hello All,

I have a BCM V.90 56K Modem (PCI Bus 1, device 4, function 0) on an Intel
Pentium 4 that the debian configuration software never did detect.  I went
on to try and configure PPP as best I could...

When I try to use 'pon' I get messages about looking for ethernet cards
instead of any dialilng.  I believe the OS just has no idea that there is a
modem installed.  I have not found anything in the Debian manuals about all
this; most of the advice seems to be for machines attached to networks.

A wider search of of the web got me lots of inapplicable advice (references
to hand-editing configuration files that are not in /etc/ mostly).  Where do
I go for information on this?

Thank You,

Eric Dickner

http://www.linmodems.org/