Re: kde 3 on testing/unstable -- newbie query

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:13:29PM +0530, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:
> I am a newbie to debian (former RH user.) I have a set of woody CDs. I
> installed a base system, upgrade to testing using the go-woody script.
>
> I then installed X with apt-get install x-window-system. I now have a
> working X install with twm.
>
> I now want to install kde 3.1.4 (it's present in knoppix). I added the
> line
>
> deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1.4/Debian stable main
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list and ran apt-get update. Unfortunately when I run
> apt-get install kde I get the following errors:
[snip]
> What am I doing wrong ? I really would like to start working with kde on
> my debian install.

I think the packages at kde.org are for woody, not later versions.  At
any rate, the safest route is to follow the advice at
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianKDE

Note that KDE on testing or side currently will need a manual assist
to install properly; you need the libsensors referenced on the
preceding page.  Also, if you stick strictly with testing, it may not
work.  I know testing has a mix of KDE 2 and KDE 3 at the moment, and
it may be missing some KDE 3 packages.

Bottom line: even if your target is testing, it's best to use pull
from unstable using the pinning trick described on the wiki.