x only works for root

I have had problems with permissions in /usr/X11R6
I set them #chmod 755 -R /usr/X11R6/
does that look right?
that has worked in the past.
I was told to remove files in /tmp relating to dcop or orbit ( sorry I forgot and I am not on that machine because x only works for root and I have yet to figure out mutt ;-) )
I have messed with permissions in /tmp
what user & group should /tmp be?
at this time the only twm for regular users though I cant open any apps like kmail or evolution or mozilla
$kmail
trying to creat local folder:Permission denied
failed to create /tmp/ksocket-tripolar/
_KDE_IceTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
DCOPServer self test failed
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started
Can't setup DCOP communication

Any suggestions? again I messed up /tmp user & group & permissions. need to know the correct user, group and permissions of /tmp also anything relationg to dcop & permissions to get reg users to log into x from gdm
Thanks