improving security on a home server

Hi,

i use a pc a gateway plus email server and i was wondering how i could
secure it better. Right now, i have snort, samhain, iptables firewall
and logcheck installed. Nothing runs in a jail for the moment.
I also haven't anything installed yet on my client pc to check the
server. I think i will use SAINT for this.

I'm currently going to install AIDE too and i was wondering about kernel
patches. I've seen exec-shield, RSBAC and other kernel patches relating
to ACL. (grsecurity).
So i'm currently looking to install one (or a combination) of these.
For instance, it seems to me that if you want buffer overflow protection
and access control management, i would need to install exec-shield AND
grsecurity together.
RSBAC seems to provide several types of ACL but no buffer overflow
protection?
Does anybody have experience setting 1 of these up? Any good links?

Thanks,
Benedict