Re: problems installing java

El domingo, 30 de noviembre de 2003, a las 02:56, tripolar escribió:
> having problems installing java

I assume you mean installing the java plug-in for your browser.

> first using apt-get or aptitude what should I install?

If you were using woody, things would be easy, just make your
sources.list point to one of www.blackdown.org mirrors, and apt-get
install j2re1.3.

As you are using sid, things get trickier. Packaged browsers are
compiled using current sid gcc version which is 3.2, where packaged
Blackdown j2re packages are still compiled using gcc 2.95, and they
simply won't work together. In this case you can download, also from
one of their mirrors, the latest tarball, this compiled using the same
gcc version sid features, but check out, you will have to RTFM in
order to install the plug-in manually.

ftp://ftp.tux.org/packages/java/JDK-1.4.1/i386/01/j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin

Remember to ldd the plug-in to check if your system lacks needed
libraries!

Lastly, if you are not running on Intel, forget about this, for the
moment. :)

Regards, Ismael
--
`Tout fourmille de commentaries; d'autheurs il en est grande cherté.'