USB "audio" driver problem

Good Morning

I have a quickcam pro 4000 USB webcam with a built in microphone which I am trying to get working.
I have installed USB drivers, pwcx-2.4.20 & pwc which give me video,

According to
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/philips.txt
I need to install USB audio support for the microphone to work.

I have installed the "audio.o" as a module & call it in /etc/module
lsmod indicates it has loaded .. and this is where I am stuck ...

There is no Kernel documentation for this module, not can I find anything useful in ../Documentation/devices.txt, a google trawl reveals little.

I am assuming I need to point my app (in this case gnomemeeting) at /dev/dsp, and I am assuming that the microphone audio can be read from there? However all is silent.

Can anyone help ? :-)

Dave

PS does anyone know of a VU meter so I can "see" the audio data ?