Re: questions/comments about new sarge installer & LILO

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:42:43 -0600, tripolar wrote:

> I have used the new sarge installer alot in the last week and am pretty
> impressed. Thanks to all responsible.
> A few things that seem different are
> 1) the way discs are labeled in lilo
> for example:
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> I am guessing because Debian is the Universal OS and all the different
> platforms it supports has warranted this change from /dev/hda1.
> I need to figure out how to get lilo to pick up and boot /dev/hda2.
> I ran lilo after editing lilo.conf- it didnt pick up m$ partition and
> commented about name change because I used /dev/hda2 versus
> .../target0/lun0/disc
> Where are docs about /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc naming
> scheme?
>
> 2)I was surprised to see lilo start straight way without any prompt nor
> any delay. maybe I did something wrong :-)

You have devfs installed, hence the new naming scheme.  You should still
be able to use the old /dev/hdXX sceme in lilo if you wish.

Info on devfs from the author:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html

You don't have to mess with devfs generally.  You can just leave it as it
is.  It is, on the whole, a Good Thing (tm).

Re your second question, examine your lilo.conf file.

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman