Re: tuning the machine after a knoppix install... keyboard in X, sources.list and using

Jacob S. wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:40:29 +0100
Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl> wrote:

<snip>
Now, its STILL a mess! in X, the keyboard seems to have some kind of german setup I ve never seen before (and which wasnt there at all when

booting with knoppix), the sources.list is one big mess of illegal
lines or something , it gives an hole lot of errors, and the kdm login
program sucks

In KDE, click on the German flag in the lower right corner by the
clock until it shows a US flag. Now you should be back to an English
keyboard. To make this change permanent, open the Control Center and
change the "Region, Accessibility and Language" and "Keyboard Layout"
settings under "Regional & Accessibility".
Thanks, that solved the first problem allright..

Can you copy and paste some of the apt-get errors for us? Sorry, there
are too many possibilities for us to know which error messages you're
seeing on your screen.
I tried to fix the /etc/apt/sources.list but obviously that didn't solve anything.. I attached the sources.list and the `apt update` output. Can anybody tell me what to change - or, better - can someone post his (her?) version of /etc/apt/sources.list with - at least, stable and testing lines, for both binary packages and source packages ?

I'm hoping to get this knoppix installation to use gdm instead of kdm
(I don't like the fact kdm lists the users on the login screen!), and to allow me to choose between kde, gnome, and fluxbox;

Can anybody help me in these steps? I couldn't find that much on knoppix ~> 'clean' debian steps... ?

Thanks for your help,

Joris Huizer
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# Security updates for "stable"
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib

# Stable
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib

# Stable
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
#deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Testing
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Unstable
# deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
# deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Experimental
# deb http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

# GNOME 2.0
# deb http://www.gnome.nl/debian/ ./

# KDE 3
# deb http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
# deb-src http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
# We get packages from testing/unstable for now

# cdbakeoven
# deb http://coyote.asoc.euitt.upm.es/mud/debian/ ./

# XFree 4.2/4.3
# deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/i386/
# deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/source/
# deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
# deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./

# Java
# deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
# deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
# deb http://people.debian.org/~sgybas/jdk13

# LyX & others (now in debian/unstable)
# deb ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/
# deb-src ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/

# Evolution
#deb ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/debian stable main
#deb-src ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/debian stable main

# Blades Repository (pppoeconf & co)
# deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/testing ./
# deb-src http://people.debian.org/~blade/testing ./

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main