Re: Getting CDRW to work in Debian

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:08:04 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   I have a DVD (hdc) and a CDRW (hdd) on a machine.  The only defined
> mount is /cdrom, which is actually the DVD.  In Redhat, I simply added
> append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" to lilo.conf, ran lilo and re-boot
> and both of them worked as did cdrecord.  This does not work in Debian
> (2.4.18-bf2.4).  Further Googling suggested that I add a line to
> modules.conf.  Looking at modules.conf, I saw dire warnings against
> manual editing, and that I was to use update-modles instead.  According
> to the manpage, I'm supposed to create a file in /etc/modutils.  There
> are, however, no examples whatsoever.  Can somebody who's gotten a
> similar setup running please post their files? Thanks.
>
>   Alternatively, there's supposed to be undocumented native support for
> ATAPI devices in cdrecord; has anybody figured that out?

Create a file in /etc/modutils containing the following:

options ide-cd ignore=\"hdc hdd\"
alias scd0 sr_mod
alias scd1 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman