tuning the machine after a knoppix install... keyboard in X, sources.list and using

Because I wanted to upgrade the machine , to the latest woody , at first, I had to downgrade because I was using bunk packages .

So I did, and it told me it needed to remove a lot of packages , which seemed fine ; Unfortunately, aptget also took away coreutils (which is not in woody) and nothing worked anymore; still, aptget couldnt fix anything because it had the wrong version of libc6

Then, I decided to do a full backup, using the knoppix cd everything went fine, and then I did a simple debian installation; After an hour or so, I tried to make it use the nvidia packages , but it seems they ve been removed for some reason, or the hole lot of servers storing those is down... anyway, I want graphics, so I did an knoppix harddisc install.

Now, its STILL a mess! in X, the keyboard seems to have some kind of german setup I ve never seen before (and which wasnt there at all when booting with knoppix), the sources.list is one big mess of illegal lines or something , it gives an hole lot of errors, and the kdm login program sucks

Can anybody help ? When will all servers be up again, will nvidia packages be online soon again ? Or is there a way to get this knoppix installation tuned correctly ? the base config program just jumped into the aptget mess of knoppix, replaced a printer, and exited

I hope youll be able to help, sorry for the bad shape of the email

Joris