Re: Linux Sound Issues

Paul Burkett wrote:

I've been having a helluva time to get sound working
decently in Linux. The issue isn't so much quality
(though I do notice a slight difference in quality
compared to Windows, nothing to complain about) but
that fact that is skips whenever I do anything that
requires CPU resources. I've tried recompiling the
kernel to make it more efficient and I've tried using
the latest drivers from Creative. It doesn't skip as
much but there are times when it does skip when
playing an mp3. Usually it happens when I'm running
any apt tools. Now I don't know if it is so much the
fault of the CPU (an AMD Tbird 1GHz) or the soundcard
(a POS SB Live), but I do notice kjournald running in
the background when I check it out using top. Could it
be ext3 is just a lot slower than ext2 and can't
handle it? Is there anything I can do to tweak this?
Or should I move onto XFS or ResierFS? Should I buy a
new sound card? Should I try ALSA? Any suggestions
would be helpful. Thanks again guys and gals.

System Info:

AMD 1GHz Thunderbird
512MB of RAM
Running KDE
Ext3 Filesystem
Kernel 2.4.22 compiled for i686
Debian Unstable
40GB Maxtor 740DX HDD Dedicated to Linux
SB Live! Sound Card (OEM)
Via686B Chipset (Abit KT7A-RAID MB)

AFAIK I didn't have this problem in Mandrake 8 but
that was so long ago.

Hi, Paul

I also have the same card, 1.3Ghz processor and ATA 100 disk
and it does eventually hik up now and then...
I'm ussing the OSS drivers.
I think we have to fidlle with the priorities of the prog. processing sound.
I use noatun.
Still didn't have time to think about this subject but I think I'll give it a try.
I'll post if anything comes out of this ...

John