Re: Linux Sound Issues

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 04:37:08PM -0800, Paul Burkett wrote:

<snip>
> Could it
> be ext3 is just a lot slower than ext2 and can't
> handle it? Is there anything I can do to tweak this?
> Or should I move onto XFS or ResierFS? Should I buy a
> new sound card? Should I try ALSA? Any suggestions
> would be helpful. Thanks again guys and gals.
>
> System Info:
<snip *more* than adequate hardware>

I use alsa with an SB live value (5.1), also on ext3, and I
don't have this problem... I get a hiccup or two during an
apt[-get|itude] install, but not much else will make it skip.

So you might want to try alsa...
OR
It might be your HD settings... check hdparm, and make sure that uhh...
DMA (I think that's the parameter) is enabled.

Your hardware is twice as fast as mine, twice as much RAM, so it may be
the ALSA difference (no idea how likely that is) or it may be that
something's hitting your HD performance pretty hard... But it's
definitely not a question of needing more processor, RAM, or sound card.

	Cheers!
--