Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications

Monique wrote:
> The difference is that, by allowing replies to accumulate and reading
> them filtered to +3, you have a decent chance of finding out when a
> submission was likely off-base.

That's what I meant by corrections.  Whenever Slashdot screws up I can be
fairly certain that several of its thousands of knowledgeable readers will
gleefully point out the error.

> It's not uncommon to have 2-3 news items a day that completely missed the
> point, or misrepresented the point, of the article or technology on which
> they're reporting.

That's about how many I see in the "real" news media.  However, since they
publish corrections only on pain of lawsuit, I can detect those only by
applying my own personal knowledge and experience.  This means that I must
assume that many more go undetected.

It is my experience that the more I know about a subject the more errors I
see in news about that subject.  From this I conclude that news reporting
on any given subject is no more accurate than reporting on those subjects
about which I know the most.  And that's pretty damn inaccurate.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)