Re: OK, I want to join the PGP World, but need help.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 02:27:41AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:08:18PM -0700, Paul E Condon (pecondon@peakpeak.com) wrote:
> > Where is the use of GnuPG within Mutt documented?
> > I want to set up checking of signatures on emails
> > to this list, but I don't find info. Where is it?
>
> Install gnupg.  Generate a key:
>
>     $ gpg --generate-key
>
> Take a look at it:
>
>     $ gpg --listkeys pecondon
>
> *SELF SIGN YOUR KEY*.  Key ID is the 8 character block, e.g.:
>
>     pub  1024D/8DE4D38E 2003-06-11 Karsten M. Self (Primary permanent ...
>
> ...my key ID is 8DE4D83E.  It's a substring from your full key
> fingerprint.
>
>     $ gpg --sign-key <Key ID>
>
> If you want others to be able to use your key, export your public key:
>
>     $ gpg --keyserver keys.pgp.net --send-keys <Key ID>
>

> Within your .muttrc, the following may be useful.  All the hooks are
> built in already, you just have to enable them by default.

> # Automatically sign mail, reply signed/encrypted to signed/encrypted
> # mail.
> set crypt_autosign
> set crypt_replyencrypt
> set crypt_replysign
> set crypt_replysignencrypted
>
> # Bug compatibility... (see Mutt manual)
> set pgp_strict_enc=yes
>
> # GPG/PGP related color directives:
> mono   body            bold                    "^gpg: Good signature"
> mono   body            reverse                 "^gpg: Bad signature from.*"
> color  body            brightblack     cyan      "^gpg: Signature made.*"
> color  body            brightblack     green     "^gpg: Good signature from.*"
> color  body            brightblack     yellow    "^gpg: Can't check signature.*"
> color  body            brightblack     yellow    "^gpg: WARNING: .*"
> color  body            brightwhite     red       "^gpg: BAD signature from.*"
>

> When sending mail, you can invoke the PGP menu with 'p', to set signing
> and encryption options.
>

> As for the SMIME encrytion used by some Microsoft mailers, I'm not
> familiar with Mutt configurations/requirements for same.
>

> Peace.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What Part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?
>     Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
>     temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>     - Benjamin Franklin, 1755

When I look at this email in mutt, I see some lines about PGP output that do
not come thru in the message copy above. These lines are:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Sat Nov 29 11:54:23 2003) --]
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 29 03:27:41 2003 MST using DSA key ID 8DE4D38E
[-- End of PGP output --]

It appears that I have not set up the system for finding public keys. I think
I should have entered the keyserver name, keys.pgp.net, into some config file.
But which one? And what else do I need to do to get signatures verified?

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com