Re: OK, I want to join the PGP World, but need help.

on Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:08:18PM -0700, Paul E Condon (pecondon@peakpeak.com) wrote:
> Where is the use of GnuPG within Mutt documented?
> I want to set up checking of signatures on emails
> to this list, but I don't find info. Where is it?

Install gnupg.  Generate a key:

    $ gpg --generate-key

Take a look at it:

    $ gpg --listkeys pecondon

*SELF SIGN YOUR KEY*.  Key ID is the 8 character block, e.g.:

    pub  1024D/8DE4D38E 2003-06-11 Karsten M. Self (Primary permanent ...

...my key ID is 8DE4D83E.  It's a substring from your full key
fingerprint.

    $ gpg --sign-key <Key ID>

If you want others to be able to use your key, export your public key:

    $ gpg --keyserver keys.pgp.net --send-keys <Key ID>

Within your .muttrc, the following may be useful.  All the hooks are
built in already, you just have to enable them by default.

# Automatically sign mail, reply signed/encrypted to signed/encrypted
# mail.
set crypt_autosign
set crypt_replyencrypt
set crypt_replysign
set crypt_replysignencrypted

# Bug compatibility... (see Mutt manual)
set pgp_strict_enc=yes

# GPG/PGP related color directives:
mono   body            bold                    "^gpg: Good signature"
mono   body            reverse                 "^gpg: Bad signature from.*"
color  body            brightblack     cyan      "^gpg: Signature made.*"
color  body            brightblack     green     "^gpg: Good signature from.*"
color  body            brightblack     yellow    "^gpg: Can't check signature.*"
color  body            brightblack     yellow    "^gpg: WARNING: .*"
color  body            brightwhite     red       "^gpg: BAD signature from.*"

When sending mail, you can invoke the PGP menu with 'p', to set signing
and encryption options.

As for the SMIME encrytion used by some Microsoft mailers, I'm not
familiar with Mutt configurations/requirements for same.

Peace.

    - Benjamin Franklin, 1755