Re: No mouse in gpm: Resolved-Sort Of

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:26:03 -0600, Kent West wrote:

>Mark Healey wrote:
>
>>In an earlier attempt to get X running I was told to
>>
>>If so, run "gpmconfig" and specify:
>>mouse location: /dev/psaux
>>mouse type: ps/2
>>repeat type: raw
>>
>>For my generic ps2 type mouse.
>>
>>I've done that and still no cursor.  I booted knoppix and it detected
>>the generic ps2 mouse at /dev/psaux and it worked correctly.
>>
>>What do I check next?
>>

>>----------------------------------------
>>Please leave this.  It is a filter term.
>>ferulebezel
>>----------------------------------------
>>

>Just to verify; you are looking for a cursor in the _console_? Not a
>terminal window within X?
>
>Try "cat /dev/psaux" and move the mouse around; you should get a bunch
>of garbage on the screen (ctrl-c to quit - your screen may freeze and/or
>the text become unreadable; if so, try blindly typing "reset"). This
>verifies that the mouse is on /dev/psaux. Also, when you run
>"gpmconfig", you should get an option to test your settings; answer
>"Yes" and move the mouse around; you should see a cursor (ctrl-d to quit
>the test).
>
>Is this a stock kernel, or did you roll your own? If you rolled your
>own, I suspect you're missing psaux mouse support.

After trying several different values in gpm.conf, on a wile hair, I
decided to try bypassing my KVM switch.  That fixed it.

This problem doesn't exist in Knoppix.

It kind of sucks having an extra mouse on the table but I can live
with that for a while.

It looks like something determines that there is no mouse attached
when it goes through the KVM.  Is anything I can do to fix this.

Please leave this.  It is a filter term.
ferulebezel
Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com
Don't bothor CCing or emailing this address.  Since spammers seem to be harvesting this
list anything that doesn't come from the list server is assumed to be spam and deleted.
ASUS A87V8X mobo w AMD Athalon
	Broadcom 4401 onboard nic
	with static IP Address
ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Video card.