Re: eject command for normal users and some other stuff

kmark@pipeline.com wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:34:24PM -0500, H S wrote:

Hi,

First of all a little background:

<snip>

To start with, I had installed Woody from the 6 (or 7?) CDs. Then

I did a dist-upgrade. And lost KDE. It was asking for some ]
nonexistant package (something to do with libsensors).
This is a know bug, the mailing list has fix.

<snip>
Okay, I am going to take this step by step because I have many

issues unresolved. I am connected to the internet through an ADSL modem (use "pon dsl-provider" to get online). But how do I make a normal user able to connect using dsl-provide? At present, only root can do that.

I believe this a permission issue. you have to be part of the dialout
group. So, as root, 'addgroup kevin dialout' where kevin is the new
user.

Next, for some reason, "eject" command is also root only? How do

I make normal user also be able to use that as well?

another permission issue, not sure if its 'adduser kevin cdrom'???

I just added myself to that group, now I am member of these grups too: cdrom audio dip

My fstab entries are:
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0
#added for mounting CDRW. 14Nov2003, HS.
/dev/scd0       /cdrom1         iso9660 user,ro,noauto          0       0

And here is whaht I get:
{tmp}> eject
eject: unable to open `/dev/cdrom'
{tmp}> eject /cdrom
eject: unable to open `/dev/cdrom'
{tmp}>

But "eject /cdrom1" works just fine.

->HS
--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)