Re: building a tivo?

* Andrew Ingram <andrew@uk.clara.net> [031127 11:34]:
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 21:57, Matt Price wrote:
> > Anyone out there built a tivo-like DVR to record programs off of
> > cabsle or stellite tv?  What's involved?  I imagine one of the big
> > tricks is justtuningthe hcannel -- or am I wrong?
>
> I have done this. All you need to know is at: www.mythtv.org

Mythtv is _great_ if you want a machine dedicated to recording and
watching tv, and you intend to interact with that machine primarily
through a remote control.

If you just want to record tv on your desktop, however, mythtv is
overkill.  For example, unless you have hardware encoding such as Andrew
suggests, mythtv records to a modified version of the nuppel format that
_cannot_ easily be played using other viewers.  Also, media files in
mythtv have cryptic names like "1068_20031126130000_20031126133000.nuv".
So, even if you _could_ view mythtv media files using some other viewer,
the only practical way to browse your media files is to use mythtv's own
(slow slow slow) browser.  Don't get me wrong, the user interface would
be great if you're sitting on a couch with a remote control, but it's
soul-killing if you're sitting at a keyboard.

Webvcr+ (http://webvcrplus.sourceforge.net) provides a nice set of php
scripts for scheduling television programs to record.   Recording is
done using whatever command line you prefer, and files are saved using
informative names, such as "The Prisoner - The Arrival.avi".  Files can
be played with whatever viewer you like.  In other words, the _only_
thing webvcr+ does is schedule recordings and issue your chosen command
line at the appropriate time.

So, to sum up, for a full-blown tivo-replacement to be used on a
dedicated machine and interacted with using a remote control, mythtv is
what you want.  Otherwise (IMHO), not.

--
Lance Simmons