Re: Help... I think I've shot myself in the foot...

Peter S. Hayes wrote:

Thank you!
I did read enough to figure out how to reboot (through LILO) into a
single-user mode so that X is not started. The keyboard works fine
there; it's only after X is started with the logon that the keyboard
goes wacky. I haven't figured out how to get networking and other
facilities running without the X... I think all other runlevels start X
and I haven't quite the confidence to go modify a lot of the startup
files (RC# whatever # should be) to eliminate X from that level,
although that will be another project on my list of Linux learning
experiences (assuming that I will - somehow, someway - get Linux running
with X on this thing)!

I've been looking for something in the chain of xdm files that would
specify an incorrect keyboard and hadn't actually considered the
xfree86... So, if that's where the keyboard would be configured, I can
go in and rerun the config program to redo that file... Maybe!

At least it's something to try!

Well, if you want to do it by hand (and shure this is the best way to learn), you can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and fidle with one the sections that says "input device"
and then has a mention to keyboard.
To be able to do that you might want to use :
#nano /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (note you have to do it as root or you wont be able
to right to the file)

If you don't succeed you might want to try this tip I got from this M.L. :

"...installing
"hotplug", "mdetect" and "read-edid" before X will enable it to
auto-detect most everything for you anyway."

And this command to reconfigure X:

dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86

Hope this helps .
Good luck