RE: Help... I think I've shot myself in the foot...

Thank you!

I did read enough to figure out how to reboot (through LILO) into a
single-user mode so that X is not started. The keyboard works fine
there; it's only after X is started with the logon that the keyboard
goes wacky. I haven't figured out how to get networking and other
facilities running without the X... I think all other runlevels start X
and I haven't quite the confidence to go modify a lot of the startup
files (RC# whatever # should be) to eliminate X from that level,
although that will be another project on my list of Linux learning
experiences (assuming that I will - somehow, someway - get Linux running
with X on this thing)!

I've been looking for something in the chain of xdm files that would
specify an incorrect keyboard and hadn't actually considered the
xfree86... So, if that's where the keyboard would be configured, I can
go in and rerun the config program to redo that file... Maybe!

At least it's something to try!

Thanks again!

Pete