Re: Help... I think I've shot myself in the foot...

Peter S. Hayes wrote:
Hi all,
I've had Debian dual-booted with Win XP on my portable for about six months. I haven't worked all the bugs out yet, but I've been getting better! And I try using it for more of my personal work (my job requires Windows at the moment). Yesterday while at work, I was installing a package (R - language/stats/graphing package) using dselect and, since there were some required package upgrades, installed a couple of those also... while working on my desktop (fool that I am) and being interrupted occasionally with other people asking questions... Somewhere - and I think this was in the configuration of a new xdm, but I'm not sure - there was a screen explaining a setup of keyboards and the choices I would be asked to choose from. This probably wasn't a good time to do all of this, but hind sight is always 20/20. I picked a "don't touch my keyboard" choice, thinking it would leave the present arrangement (which was fine). Since rebooting this morning I cannot log in at the X prompt. My mouse works fine, I have the X Window login prompt (provided by xdm I think) but every key on my keyboard does nothing except toggle the display window through three size variations... I can do nothing but manually kill the power (with all the corrupted files resulting).

  use journaling filesystem:-)

  what about ctrl-alt-f1? ctrl-alt-backspace?

load system into single user mode (init=/bin/sh or something like that, check lilo docs) and disable X for the time being (see man update-rc.d, something like update-rc.d xdm remove should get rid of xdm, update-rc.d xdm defaults should make it start during boot)

  you can also try to login via network and run /etc/init.d/xdm stop

then check which keyboard you have defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, it should look something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Logitech Cordless iTouch"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "logicordless"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

you just need to choose correct XkbModel, see /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst for available models (one of the pc* should work for most of the keys)

	erik