Re: xterm title bars

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 05:25:17AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:43:00PM -0500, Matt Price (matt.price@utoronto.ca) wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > lists.debian.org seems to be down, so I couldn't search the list
> > archives properly; sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum.
> >
> > my .bashrc has the following code in it to set the title of xterms:
> >
> >  # If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
> >     case $TERM in
> >     xterm*)
> >         PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0; ${USER}: ${PWD}\007"'
> >         ;;
> >     *)
> >         ;;
> >     esac
> >

> > I'd like to include other information in the xtitle as well, like,
> > for instance, basename of process running in the xterm -- and ideally,
> > more complicated stuff like the name of the buffer currently being
> > edited in a terminal-bound session of xemacs.
> >
> > Anyone know a way to handle this automatically?  I've come across
> > various scripts (usually in csh!) that can be executed from the
> > command line, but no solutions that change the window title
> > automatically.
> >
> > Is there any hope?
>
> Bash Prompt HOWTO
>
>     http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/

Hi Karsten,

I've used this (excellent) howto to set my prompt up nicely, and to
echo things like pwd, time, and username to the xterm title.  However,
I would love to add {basename} of the currently active process to the
title -- this would make it loads easier for me to distinguish among
the umpteen xterms in a given xsession.  The bash prompt howto does
not seem to cover this, far as I can tell.  I imagine it's a bit
tricky, too, since you'd have to tell the xterm to change its title
*before* executing any commands...  Just trying to find out if its
possible -- apparently this is a bit easier in c and tc shells?

thx,
matt