Re: Usable X login/starter in Debian needed

Marc Wilson wrote:

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:09:49PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
Isn't there a usable X login/starter in Debian.

They're all usable.

I've tried XDM (doesn't allow shutdown, looks awfull),

Awful is in the eye of the beholder.  Personally, I find the simplicity of
xdm to be absolutely wonderful.  You *do* know that the look of it is
completely configurable, right?  The main thing you're going to run into is
that xdm doesn't know what xft and librender are.  Yet. ^_^

login.app (can't start my otherwise perfect running X).

Hm, and you think xdm looks "awful"? ^_^

I won't try GDM (requires too much of gnome),

Yeah, it requires a fair chunk, but it's just libraries.

Does anyone know a simple solution?

Well, I think you're going the wrong way, for one.  You shouldn't be
looking to shut down from the login screen in the first place.  Log in,
THEN shut the box down.

I've already touched on the configurability of xdm.

If you google for "xdm shutdown" you can find a simple tcl/tk script that
will do most of what you want.

You could try 'kdm' - I use and like it, but then I also use KDE.If you don't
you will probably also have to install a few libs ( like gdm) ...

John