Re: Help... I think I've shot myself in the foot...

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Peter S. Hayes wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've had Debian dual-booted with Win XP on my
> portable for about six
> > months. I haven't worked all the bugs out yet, but
> I've been getting
> > better! And I try using it for more of my personal
> work (my job
> > requires Windows at the moment).
> >
> > Yesterday while at work, I was installing a
> package (R -
> > language/stats/graphing package) using dselect
> and, since there were
> > some required package upgrades, installed a couple
> of those also...
> > while working on my desktop (fool that I am) and
> being interrupted
> > occasionally with other people asking questions...
> >
> > Somewhere - and I think this was in the
> configuration of a new xdm,
> > but I'm not sure - there was a screen explaining a
> setup of keyboards
> > and the choices I would be asked to choose from.
> This probably wasn't
> > a good time to do all of this, but hind sight is
> always 20/20. I
> > picked a "don't touch my keyboard" choice,
> thinking it would leave the
> > present arrangement (which was fine). Since
> rebooting this morning I
> > cannot log in at the X prompt. My mouse works
> fine, I have the X
> > Window login prompt (provided by xdm I think) but
> every key on my
> > keyboard does nothing except toggle the display
> window through three
> > size variations... I can do nothing but manually
> kill the power (with
> > all the corrupted files resulting).
> >
> > Help... what, in my arrogant
> > getting-to-feel-pretty-comfortable-with-Linux
> stupidity, did I do to
> > myself?
> >
> > I'm trying to work my way through the
> initialization files and the xdm
> > config, but I haven't had any luck so far...
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...
> >

> > Mournfully back in Windows...
> >

> > Pete
>
> If your machine is on the network and you have ssh
> installed, you can
> ssh in and make repairs, thus avoiding the power-off
> scenario.
> Does Ctrl-Alt-F1 get you to a console, or just
> toggle the display window
> as you mention above? If it gets you to a console,
> does the keyboard
> work properly there?
>
> I'm not sure how to fix the keyboard mapping, but
> I'm responding in the
> hope that these questions might spur a line of
> thinking that'll get you
> further towards repair.
>
> --
> Kent

If Kent idea doesn't work...

Maybe you could modyfy XFree86.conf from the windows
side using explore2fs? But I know the write   to linux
partition feature is experimental and I haven't tried
this out.
This can be risky, but if nothing else comes up...

Eric