Re: Help... I think I've shot myself in the foot...

Peter S. Hayes wrote:

Hi all,
I've had Debian dual-booted with Win XP on my portable for about six months. I haven't worked all the bugs out yet, but I've been getting better! And I try using it for more of my personal work (my job requires Windows at the moment). Yesterday while at work, I was installing a package (R - language/stats/graphing package) using dselect and, since there were some required package upgrades, installed a couple of those also... while working on my desktop (fool that I am) and being interrupted occasionally with other people asking questions... Somewhere - and I think this was in the configuration of a new xdm, but I'm not sure - there was a screen explaining a setup of keyboards and the choices I would be asked to choose from. This probably wasn't a good time to do all of this, but hind sight is always 20/20. I picked a "don't touch my keyboard" choice, thinking it would leave the present arrangement (which was fine). Since rebooting this morning I cannot log in at the X prompt. My mouse works fine, I have the X Window login prompt (provided by xdm I think) but every key on my keyboard does nothing except toggle the display window through three size variations... I can do nothing but manually kill the power (with all the corrupted files resulting). Help... what, in my arrogant getting-to-feel-pretty-comfortable-with-Linux stupidity, did I do to myself? I'm trying to work my way through the initialization files and the xdm config, but I haven't had any luck so far... Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance... Mournfully back in Windows... Pete

If your machine is on the network and you have ssh installed, you can ssh in and make repairs, thus avoiding the power-off scenario. Does Ctrl-Alt-F1 get you to a console, or just toggle the display window as you mention above? If it gets you to a console, does the keyboard work properly there?

I'm not sure how to fix the keyboard mapping, but I'm responding in the hope that these questions might spur a line of thinking that'll get you further towards repair.

--
Kent