Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP & Debian Woody

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 15:20, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On 20 Nov 2003 10:16:05 -0500,
> John Cichy <john@greengator.com> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 1069341365.26720.26.camel@localhost>:
>
> > This is when you find something that you need to run on your RPM based
> > system, you download the RPM and attempt to install it, only to find
> > out you need another RPM (actually a lib from another RPM) you search
> > for the required RPM and download it and attempt the install, only to
> > find out you need another RPM (actually a lib from another RPM) you
> > search for the the required RPM and download it and attempt the
> > install, only to find ...
>
> ..I found it workable, it was simply cut and paste rpm commands and
> whines back and forth between the first ssh session and an editor untill
> it quit whining, then toss that 55 line 'rpm -Uvh ' into all ssh
> sessions.

Very interesting, you should write a mini-howto on this, would help a
lot of people. The problem with me is, I do have a couple of boxes I
'fool' around with, but in most cases it's hard to justify spending time
to find 'interesting' ways to do things (especially when you have to
justify to manglers who believe that M$ stuff just works). I spent very
little time learning the Debian install, and actually (putting on
flame-proof suit) enjoy dselect, and found that everything just worked.

Also, as I say below, this was the primary reason for the switch, the
secondary reason had to do with a phone call I had with support where
the tech guy said he would NEVER do an upgrade, and that they would only
support clean installs.