Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP & Debian Woody

On 20 Nov 2003 10:16:05 -0500,
John Cichy <john@greengator.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] 1069341365.26720.26.camel@localhost>:

> This is when you find something that you need to run on your RPM based
> system, you download the RPM and attempt to install it, only to find
> out you need another RPM (actually a lib from another RPM) you search
> for the required RPM and download it and attempt the install, only to
> find out you need another RPM (actually a lib from another RPM) you
> search for the the required RPM and download it and attempt the
> install, only to find ...

..I found it workable, it was simply cut and paste rpm commands and
whines back and forth between the first ssh session and an editor untill
it quit whining, then toss that 55 line 'rpm -Uvh ' into all ssh
sessions.

> This was the primary reason I looked a Debian in the first place, I
> have installed/setup MANY Debian machines to do many different tasks
> have have never thought about returning to hell.
>
> I think RH's recent announcement will be their downfall, as more
> people who are 'forced' to try Debian, the more that will realize
> maintaining and adding functionality to a system does not have to be
> something that wakes you up in the middle of the night SCREAMING!

..I came over on RH's decision to ditch the free DL's, "going
Enterprize", is workable when you pass the bills onto your clients,
but I couldn't see where they were going nor how they planned to
match or beat Debians performance good enough to have me buy
a license for myself too.

..now, had I, 6 months ago, known Fedora would match
RH-7.3, I would have stayed.  Too late now.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: