Re: *plonk* Re: Code of Conduct (was Re: Totally [OT] Re: Opium)

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:50, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:49:14AM +0000, ben (ben_foley@web.de) wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:23:48 +0800
> > csj <csj@zapo.net> wrote:

> > while some of us may have got carried away on the exuberance of our
> > collective velocity, where colin requested that the thread be closed, i
> > think that there were only one or two respondents who failed to respect
> > that request. karsten's manner, on the other hand, comes across as an
> > order,
>
> I'd individually contacted most (all I could find) participants of the
> thread, after it had persisted for several days.  Most of these either
> didn't respond (but ceased posting to the thread) or replied
> apologetically.

Yes, oh dear moderator.

> Several disputed the basis of my request.  Which is:
>
>   - List charter:  "Help and discussion among users of Debian".
>   - Code of conduct:  ""

As you wish, as you are never wrong.

> > and, as such, is damn near guaranteed to raise the ire of anyone
> > with a brain. particularly, comments such as the anarchist reference
> > above are totally unwarranted
>
> Several of the individuals who chose to dispute (at length) my request
> with me made specific reference to anarchist principles.

Hmmm... interesting you would take exception to this.

> I'd recommend you speak of what you know.  In this case, you are beyond
> your depth.

There are places, I am sure, you are out of your depth.

> > and indeed no less of an indulgence than participation in the thread
> > itself. furthermore, the threat of "consequences" strikes me as a tad
> > too authoritarian for this particular list.
>
> Consequences are simply a matter of mutual respect.  If you show respect
> of others on the list by following posted and general Netiquette
> guidelines, you'll find your postings receive a reading, and possibly, a
> response.

That is the Pot calling the Kettle Day-Glo Orange.

Or maybe a flamage fest.

> If you choose to abuse the list and its subscribers, you'll find that
> people chose to ignore your postings, either on a case-by-case basis, or
> by technical means, including killfiles.  I also specifically forwarded
> at least one message to a Debian project member as the individual more
> or less explicitly begged to be removed from the list, and I was unable
> to fulfill the reqeust.

I am sure you know first hand by the sound of it.

> As several individual failed to show respect to the list, and
> specifically showed a studied lack of respect to either myself, Colin
> Watson, or both, I felt that the favor of a reply or reading was no
> longer warranted.

My pot is Blue and Kettle Chrome... please advise.

> > on the other hand, thanks to colin for pointing out that
> > debian-curiosa exists.
>
> Colin wasn't the only person to mention this, if you'll check the
> record.

As you wish, my Cop-e-tahn.

> > perhaps we can arrive at a rule whereby the third, fourth, or fifth
> > response to an off-topic thread would be directed--on the list--to
> > make use of debian-curiosa as a more appropriate venue.
>
> Agreed.

Good. No response expected.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net