Code of Conduct (was Re: Totally [OT] Re: Opium)

on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:33:01PM +0000, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:38:15PM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..bull, the way to avoid the flame wars is use the newsgroup interface
> > and a newsreader, and simply weed out those useless threads you don't
> > wanna download.
>
> No, the way to avoid the flamewars is for you to be less selfish and
> have them somewhere else where they might actually be approximately
> on-topic.

I'll note the following:  I've already written many of the participants
in the alltogether off-topic thread requesting they keep discussion on
topic.  If it continues past today, they'll find themselves killfiled by
me, if not others.

As several (in or out of the) closet anarchists have replied that
self-control is apparently beyond their mein, I'll remind them that
consequences for actions are also their responsibility.  Including
finding themselves ignored by those who value s over n.

I'll also note that several participants have apologized or indicated
they'll reform their behavior.  Thank you.

The Debian mailinglist code of conduct includes this guideline: