Re: OT: Flatbed scanner recommendation?

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
Dear all,

Well, I guess many of you have been through this, so allthough it may be somewhat OT, I hope it can be enlightening.

My father needs a new flatbed scanner, something in the NOK 800 range (that's about USD or Euro 110). He has a workstation running Woody with some backports, so obviously, it has to work well with Debian. I've told him he needs to be a conscious consumer and stay away from the companies that have objectionable policies. I'd like to buy from a company that openly supports free software, who has at least assisted driver developers, resisted any DRM, and are known to be friendly.

I'm aware of the list at http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html but that doesn't say anything about company policies. Something like the linuxprinting.org's Vendor Scorecard would be great (allthough that is also lacking. For example, Lexmark would be out of the question on the printer side with their DMCA lawsuit).

Anybody here have any recommendations?

I have an Epson Perfection 1250 installed.
Works like a charm with Debian -- provided you discovered to change the /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf file.
I have described the install experience here:
http://home.planet.nl/~woerk095/epson1250.html

I thought at the time it was a very good description. I no longer think so now.

To install Debian support for the scanner all you have to do is:
apt-get install xsane
and that gets you everything. Like I said: not the knowledge that it is the plustek.conf file in /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf
Running diff -b on the changes I made to that I get this:

52c52,54
< [usb]
---
> [usb] 0x04B8 0x010F
> #[usb]
> #device /dev/usbscanner0
133c135,136
< device auto
---
> device /dev/usb/scanner0
> #device auto

Also I have this in my /etc/modules for the scanner:

options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x010f

and I have the scanner USB driver loaded in my super duper Backstreet Ruby 2.4.22 kernel. But that is not needed because Debian will pull libusb in which will do without that driver.

As far as operation: it is the same complaint always: the thing comes with Windoze instructions and buttons: 4 buttons in the front of the machine that have no function except for M$. Also it does not have a power-off button but an ac-dc converter that you plug in.

Other than that it is faultless: runs like a charm, but slow of course, it is a low-end scanner.

Hope this helps.

Hugo.

He's been looking at a Canon, how's their history?

Cheers,

Kjetil