OT: Flatbed scanner recommendation?

Dear all,

Well, I guess many of you have been through this, so allthough it may be
somewhat OT, I hope it can be enlightening.

My father needs a new flatbed scanner, something in the NOK 800 range
(that's about USD or Euro 110).

He has a workstation running Woody with some backports, so obviously, it
has to work well with Debian. I've told him he needs to be a conscious
consumer and stay away from the companies that have objectionable
policies.

I'd like to buy from a company that openly supports free software, who
has at least assisted driver developers, resisted any DRM, and are
known to be friendly.

I'm aware of the list at
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
but that doesn't say anything about company policies. Something like the
linuxprinting.org's Vendor Scorecard would be great (allthough that is
also lacking. For example, Lexmark would be out of the question on the
printer side with their DMCA lawsuit).

Anybody here have any recommendations?

He's been looking at a Canon, how's their history?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo