Re: OT: Flatbed scanner recommendation?

I recently got an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo.  The cost for
a refurbished scanner was $89 including shipping from Epson.
The backend developer has a page at
http://www.khk.net/sane/
The driver page is
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-epson.5.html
Take a look here also
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/lsd_e.html
Experimental gcc-3.x based "Image Scan! for Linux Version 1.5.2" packages are now freely available for download.

Kjetil Kjernsmo writes:
My father needs a new flatbed scanner, something in the NOK 800 range (that's about USD or Euro 110). He has a workstation running Woody with some backports, so obviously, it has to work well with Debian. I've told him he needs to be a conscious consumer and stay away from the companies that have objectionable policies. I'd like to buy from a company that openly supports free software, who has at least assisted driver developers, resisted any DRM, and are known to be friendly. I'm aware of the list at http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html but that doesn't say anything about company policies. Something like the linuxprinting.org's Vendor Scorecard would be great (allthough that is also lacking. For example, Lexmark would be out of the question on the printer side with their DMCA lawsuit). Anybody here have any recommendations? He's been looking at a Canon, how's their history? Cheers,
Kjetil